South Windsor Car Accident Attorneys
Connecticut is an undeniably beautiful state that attracts its fair share of traffic and the car accidents that come with that traffic. If you’ve been injured in a car accident that was caused by another motorist’s negligence, you likely face a difficult journey toward recovery ahead. While reaching out to a dedicated car accident attorney may seem like yet another task that you’d prefer to put off, it’s important to note that the sooner you have professional legal counsel in your corner, the better protected your rights will be and the better chance you’ll have of obtaining your rightful compensation.
Consulting with an experienced South Windsor car accident attorney can provide you with the peace of mind you need to pursue the compensation to which you are entitled. Contact Berman & Russo for assistance.
Car Accidents and Driver Negligence
At the heart of many car accidents on our highways and byways is driver negligence, which can take any of the following forms:
- Distraction – Drivers owe their full attention to the road ahead and to the traffic on that road. When a driver becomes distracted by anything else, that driver increases the likelihood that a dangerous accident will take place. Smartphone usage is an especially dangerous – and common – distraction.
- Impairment – Motorists are all well aware that drinking and driving can be a deadly combination. Unfortunately, some drivers don’t find this fact compelling enough to kick the habit.
- Exhaustion – While drowsy drivers don’t get the same amount of press that impaired drivers do, they experience some of the same impairments that leave them prone to dangerous accidents.
- Excess Speed – Excess speed is commonly featured in fatal car accident statistics. When a driver speeds excessively, he or she is more likely to cause an accident, and the accident is more likely to be deadly. Excess speed, it must be said, is relative, and motorists are responsible for adopting speeds that address the actual risks on our roadway, including the dangerous effects of bad weather.
Car accidents are very often the result of these categories of driver negligence.
Common Car Accident Damages
You have been injured by another motorist’s negligence, and in order to fully recover, you need compensation that addresses your damages in their entirety, including property damage to your vehicle.
Your Medical Costs
The medical costs associated with a serious car accident are often considerable, including:
- Emergency care and transportation
- Appointments with doctors and medical specialists
- Ongoing health care
- Prescription medications
- Physical therapy
- Home health care
A serious injury can lead to secondary health complications that require ongoing medical attention and increased expense, which is why it’s so important that your car accident case adequately assess your ongoing medical costs.
Your Lost Hours and Earnings
As you recover from the injuries you’ve suffered, it is very common to miss hours on the job and subsequently experience a downturn in pay. While your pile of medical bills continues to grow, you’re also earning less, which makes the matter that much grimmer. If the injuries you’ve sustained interfere with your ability to successfully do your job, it can lead to a loss in earning potential that translates to considerable financial loss into your future. Finally, if the trajectory of your career has been altered, the effects can be as emotionally challenging as they are financially.
Your Pain and Suffering
Being injured in a violent car accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence tends to be terrifying and can lead to severe physical pain, which can have a toll on both your physical and mental state. You might also experience a host of emotional difficulties, including:
- PTSD symptoms
- Abrupt mood swings
- Difficulty sleeping or excessive sleeping
- Bouts of depression and increased anxiety
- Self-isolating tendencies
- Crying fits
- Feelings of hopelessness
- Loss of appetite
- Extreme emotional highs and lows
The unfortunate irony here is that these consequences can serve to keep your support system at arm’s length – just when you need the people in that support system the most. This pain and suffering component of your car accident claim can be significant and should never be underestimated.
Negotiating with the Insurance Company
You were injured by another driver’s negligence, which means that you are going to be dealing with that driver’s insurance company. While you may find it comforting to know that the insurance company is on the job, this isn’t something that you should rely upon. The fact of the matter is that the insurance company is far more interested in turning a profit than it is in compensating you fairly for the full range of damages you’ve suffered. Be on the lookout for all of the following tactics in the insurance company’s arsenal:
- Making an Early Settlement Offer – An early settlement offer is often a sign that the insurance company is hoping to settle the matter before you are fully aware of the actual extent of your damages. If the insurance company makes a settlement offer, it is always in your best interest to address the matter with an experienced car accident attorney before finalizing the matter and losing any hope of further negotiations.
- Complicating the Process – Insurance companies are also very skilled at making the claims process as difficult and protracted as possible – hoping that you’ll give up out of frustration.
- Shifting the Blame – The insurance company may also take a stab at shifting the blame away from its client (the at-fault motorist) and toward you in the hope that you will take the bait.
You are better off ignoring the insurance company’s strong-arm tactics and allowing your formidable car accident attorney to skillfully negotiate with them on your behalf.
An Experienced South Windsor Car Accident Attorney Can Help
At Berman & Russo, we have more than 30 years of experience successfully helping clients like you prevail with their car accident claims, and we bring this impressive experience to every claim we take on. We are proud natives of Connecticut who make it our practice to help our clients move more comfortably through the often-stressful claims process. To learn more about how our dedicated car accident attorneys can help you, please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call us at 860-644-1548 to schedule a free consultation today.