South Windsor DUI Accident Attorneys
Motorists are well aware that if they’ve been drinking, they should not get behind the wheel. Unfortunately, far too many of them fail to make the right decision and proceed to drive impaired. If you’ve been injured by such a driver, an experienced South Windsor DUI Accident attorney can help.
Drunk Driving: The Sobering Statistics
The National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA) shares the following telling statistics related to drunk driving:
- Every single day, an average of 30 people die as a result of drunk drivers in the United States, which translates to one death every 50 minutes.
- In one recent year, 10,511 people lost their lives to drunk driving accidents.
- 29 percent of all traffic accidents in one year were drunk driving-related.
- The total price tag for drunk driving-related damage annually is about $44 billion.
Alcohol reduces the brain’s functioning, impairs our ability to think and reason clearly, and reduces our muscle coordination. Any one of these alone is unsafe behind the wheel, and in tandem, they can prove deadly.
In the State of Connecticut – as in every other state – the legal threshold for drivers is 0.08 percent blood alcohol concentration (BAC). Alcohol’s effects on drivers (and anyone else) are cumulative and include the following:
- At 0.02 percent BAC, the motorist will experience some decline in judgment along with a decline in visual functioning.
- At 0.05 percent BAC, the motorist will experience a reduction in coordination, ability to track moving objects, ability to steer accurately, and ability to respond safely to emergency driving situations.
- At 0.08 percent BAC (the legal threshold), the motorist will experience difficulties with concentration, short-term memory, controlling the vehicle’s speed, processing information, and perception.
- At .10 percent BAC, the motorist will experience a reduction in his or her ability to remain in a lane and to brake safely.
When behind the wheel, these levels of impairment are alarming at best.
Your Car Accident Claim
If a driver who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs leaves you injured, obtaining the compensation to which you are entitled is paramount to your ability to fully recover your health and well-being. While your accident claim will be unique to the circumstances involved, the damages you incur will likely fall into the following categories:
- Property damage to your vehicle
- Medical expenses (that can be ongoing)
- Lost earnings
- Pain and suffering
Consult with an Experienced South Windsor DUI Accident Attorney Today
If an impaired driver leaves you injured, the veteran South Windsor DUI accident attorneys at Berman & Russo understand how difficult the situation is for you and are committed to putting the full force of their more than 30 years of experience to work for you. We are proud to hail from the great state of Connecticut, and we make it our business to help you feel comfortable throughout the legal process. To learn more about how we can help you, don’t put off contacting us online or calling us at 860-644-1548 to schedule your free consultation today.