Car Accident Attorney Portland
Among the most common personal injury cases are car accidents, and the effects can range from simple bruises and cuts to life-altering injuries or even a loved one’s death. Regardless of the specific type of injury you’re suffering from, you are legally entitled to pursue monetary compensation under the law when another person or entity’s negligence causes it.
At Berman & Russo, our Portland car accident attorneys have been guiding car accident victims and seeking fair compensation on their behalf for over 30 years. When you work with us, your only job is to recover from your physical and emotional injuries. Our job is to make sure that you receive just compensation that will help you start anew after getting hurt in a car accident.
Injuries Our Portland Car Accident Attorneys Handle
People can sustain various injuries in a car accident depending on where their car was struck and other circumstances surrounding the crash. These can include:
- Severe Lacerations – While cuts and scrapes may seem minor, they pose a serious risk of potentially fatal infections and other complications.
- Whiplash – Whiplash occurs when your neck is thrust backward and forward rapidly. It can be extremely excruciating and may require time to heal.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs) – During a crash, your head can be struck with various things, such as the steering wheel, windows, windshield, dashboard, flying debris, etc. Concussions and other types of TBIs must be treated seriously because they can lead to permanent disabilities or death.
- Spinal Cord Injuries (SCIs) – Depending on the nature of the spinal cord trauma, paralysis may develop right away or over time as the bleeding and swelling impact the spinal cord.
- Multiple Fractures – These can include broken arms, legs, hands, feet, arms, and ribs, among others. They usually require multiple surgeries to repair. Depending on the nature of the injury, compound fractures can lead to reduced mobility and other complications.
- Internal Bleeding or Organ Damage – This can be hard to spot and can be deadly if not spotted and treated promptly.
Unfortunately, these are just some of the injuries our Portland car accident attorneys deal with. They are all very painful, very expensive to treat, and typically require a lengthy recovery.
What Compensation Can I Recover in a Car Accident Claim?
This will depend on different factors because each person’s circumstances and damages are different. Generally speaking, your compensation could depend on these common factors:
- The Severity of Your Injuries – In most cases, the more severe the injuries, the higher the compensation an injured person can recover. Insurers, lawyers, and juries usually consider factors such as the type and length of treatment, whether you suffered a disability or permanent complication, and whether you suffered emotional trauma when determining how much your claim is worth.
- Related Medical Expenses – You must see your doctor right after the car crash, even if you think you’re unhurt. Injuries like TBIs and whiplash may sometimes take several days to be symptomatic, and only doctors can diagnose properly. All the medical expenses you incurred and may incur in the future due to your injuries will be considered when determining the worth of your claim.
- Lost Wages and Work Opportunities – A settlement or award for a car accident claim can help you make up for any earnings you lost due to your injuries. A damaged car, injuries, and mounting bills can make going back to work difficult - or worse, impossible. Your employer may not understand what you went through, and the trauma you suffered from the crash may impede your concentration, sleep, or worker performance.
- Pain and Suffering – Any emotional trauma you may have experienced or are still experiencing will likewise be considered when determining the value of your case. Unfortunately, car crashes can lead to intense emotional pain and mental distress. These can result from developing a psychological condition, like post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression, etc., or losing someone you love in the accident. While these may not cause physical pain, they can easily disrupt your daily life.
- Property Damage – This covers the cost of repairing or replacing your car.
It’s vital to talk to a Portland car accident attorney to understand exactly what your damages are and how much your case is worth.
What Our Portland Car Accident Attorneys Can Do For You
We know that money cannot take away your pain and trauma, but it can certainly help alleviate the stress of worrying about how you’re going to pay for all your car accident-related losses. Financial problems following a car crash are usually one of the top reasons why injured people can’t recover quickly or properly.
While some people may never heal completely from their injuries, receiving proper compensation can ensure that they receive the care and support they need for as long as they need them. The experienced Portland car accident attorneys of Berman & Russo will collect the evidence and facts to determine what happened in the crash and develop a strong case for compensation.
After we have filed your claim, the at-fault driver’s insurer may offer a quick settlement. But you must keep in mind that this settlement will not be enough to cover all your damages. You have to understand that insurers will always prioritize their best interests, which means that they will try to limit their liability to pay you as little money as possible.
But when you leave your case in the hands of our attorney, you can ensure that they will try to negotiate a fair settlement for your losses. If this is not possible, we can pursue your case in court. Regardless of how you choose to move forward, our Portland car accident attorney will be with you every step of the way.
Discuss Your Case With Our Seasoned Portland Car Accident Attorney Now
After you have received medical treatment for your injuries, you should seek legal guidance from the Portland car accident attorney at Berman & Russo to explore your legal options. Please schedule your free consultation with our Portland car accident attorney by calling 860-644-1548. You can likewise contact us online.