A motor vehicle accident can be traumatizing. You’re worried about the severity of your injuries. You’re worried about getting your car fixed and getting back to work. You’re worried about avoiding financial devastation through the process and after. While many people carry enough insurance to keep them financially stable, countless others face serious trouble.
An experienced auto accident attorney can provide the guidance necessary to get you through the claim process fairly and efficiently, and assist you in obtaining appropriate medical care.
Here Are Five Reasons Why You Should Call An Attorney ASAP
When your financial future – or the future of your loved ones – is at stake due to the enormous medical bills following a car accident, it is wise to promptly take steps to protect your interests. Here are five reasons why you should immediately discuss your accident with a accident attorney.
- The at-fault party’s insurance carrier has their own agenda. Similar to the first point, if your accident was caused by the negligence or inattention of another person or corporate entity, they will work quickly and aggressively to limit the amount of money they will have to pay out.
- Your insurance company has their own agenda. Even though you’ve been paying them for years or even decades, your insurance company is not solely interested in your best interests. They are a company, and a company is always more concerned with their own bottom line than anything else. We’re not saying that they will outright try to financially injure you, but it is wise to have someone on your side who is truly looking out for your best interests. Don’t sign anything or give a statement to the insurance company without discussing it with your lawyer.
- Depending on the circumstances of your accident, you might face a strict statute of limitations. For example, if a government vehicle was involved in the accident, you might only have a matter of days to file a lawsuit.
- Settlement options can be complex. Most lawyers will attempt to resolve disputes through negotiations rather than courtroom litigation. This is dependent, however, on understanding legal options and fully understanding a settlement agreement.
- Fully understanding your damages is crucial. Was your accident caused by a drunk driver? Was he overserved at a sporting event or restaurant before getting behind the wheel? If so, that organization might be liable for damages. This is called dram shop liability, and is only a small representation of the types of questions your attorney will ask. Your lawyer will explore every legal avenue of monetary compensation after your accident. Additionally, your attorney will ensure that your future treatment needs are taken into consideration during the settlement negotiations.
Your attorney is dedicated to protecting your rights and your best interests. If you are concerned about unfair treatment by the insurance company of the person who caused your injuries, it is crucial that you act quickly.